The Tucker family became involved in legal education in Virginia when St. George Tucker became the second law professor at the College of William and Mary in 1790. (The first, George Wythe, was the first law professor in America.) His grandson, John Randolph Tucker, was the first dean of the Washington and Lee law school. His son Henry St. George Tucker, in turn, was the third dean.
It was, therefore, especially gratifying for W&L Law special collections to both recently receive a gift of papers from John Randolph Tucker’s great-great-grandson, Carter Tucker, and to purchase books formerly owned by Henry St. George Tucker’s granddaughter. The papers are approximately 75 letters, most addressed to John Randolph Tucker from the years 1892-1896. The books, purchased from a private family library in Lexington, Kentucky, consist of eight volumes published between 1834 and 1893. All of this is now accessible to researchers in the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Archives.
(Below, letter from John Randolph Tucker to his son Henry St. George Tucker.)